Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Reindeer Subway Art

I love the look of subway art, but always thought it would be too hard without a silhouette or cricut. But I really loved this idea for a sign with the reindeer names and so I decided to see if I could do it. And now you can, too :)

What you need:

  • A piece of mdf or plywood (something light!), mine is 20 inches wide by 42 inches high
  • graphite tracing paper
  • brushes
  • acrylic - i used cream, black and red, but I think other color schemes would look great, too!
  • a pen

Start by coating the board with cream. Mine took about three coats. My MDF was bigger than the sign, so I didn't go all the way to the edges, knowing we'd cut it later. Allow to dry.
Print out this template. I made it in Indesign (so I could make it large enough) and then chopped it up to print on my home printer on 8.5 x 11 sheets. Then I stitched them back together and taped the pieces to make one big template.
Place the tracing paper between the board and template and trace over the letters to transfer.


Use a small paint brush and the black paint to fill in the letters. Don't fill in the "o" in Rudolph with black! Paint the whole thing red. After it dries, smudge a bit of black around the edge and add the white shine.

Add tacks/finishing nails and twine to the back and hang.


No comments:

Post a Comment