Monday, December 31, 2012

Christmas crafting

Today is the last day of 2012. Man, that went fast. And that means that tomorrow, I have to take down all my Christmas decorations. It's one of the saddest days of the year. Since they're coming down tomorrow, I figured I'd share some of this year's new decorations, including the several crafts I *actually* finished (that NEVER happens!) What did we ever do before Pinterest? I found almost all these ideas there and love that most were cheap and very easy. If you found and tried any great Christmas crafts on Pinterest, please feel free to share! Maybe if I start now I can finish before next Christmas....

Nativity Canvas
Easy peasy! You just need a cheap-o canvas, a couple shades of blue, silver, and gold acrylic paint, a silver paint pen, and chipboard letters and a glue gun. Paint and glue. Tip: Use chalk first for the "adore" to make sure it's where you want it before you go over with the silver paint pen.

Noel and mantle

Last year's mantle had red and green swag. This year I saw this house and sleigh at Hobby Lobby and loved them, so I decided to redo the mantle around them.

It's plain garland that I stuck in silver beads and branches. The silver and white snowflakes used to hang on the wall, but now they're on the mirror (Target - $1!) I think the Santa Dude is from Hobby Lobby, but it's been a couple years.

And I'm not sure how I feel about the rustic "Noel" yet, but we'll keep it around for next year.

2x4 characters

At a RS Enrichment activity a few weeks ago we made this Santa guy and I thought he was so cute! But once I got him home, I thought he seemed so lonely.

On Pinterest, I found these candy bar wrappers and thought I could easily make them into 2x4 friends for Santa.

Voila!

Wreath

I liked this on Pinterest, but I forgot how long yarn wreaths take. And I think I should have used a darker red instead of a bright red - it kind of looks like a life preserver!

Christmas cards



I never knew what to do with all the beautiful Christmas cards we get each year. This was the perfect solution! We taped red velvet ribbon to the back of the kitchen cabinets and then clothes pinned them on. I love seeing them all the time and I'll be so sad to take them down!

3 comments:

  1. I love how you translated the candy bar idea into a quartet of blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so stunning in that top picture, love these updates. You are going to be one wonderful mommy! PS--your food storage inspired me...called into YW's and I'll have to follow your lead and go for my medallion again....granted I lost my necklace a long time ago from back in the day. lol. Hang in there pregnant wise...it'll be over before you know it and you will be sleepless, but in a more fun way with a cute baby by your side. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mandy - you will love it! It's so much fun. I'm going to miss it. Good luck working your medallion. I really enjoyed it - I think the adults get much more out of it than the kids do, haha.

    ReplyDelete