Thursday, December 27, 2012

4th Annual Gingerbread House

As long as I can remember, my family has always spent Christmas Eve decorating homemade gingerbread houses and watching a Christmas movie. It's one of my favorite Christmas traditions, one that Hans and I have continued even when it meant decorating the house at 3 in the morning after I got off work at the newspaper.

That's why it makes me so sad that we broke that tradition this year. I was so excited about it and made all the preparations and then... halfway through baking the house pieces, I got slammed with the worst morning sickness I've had since the first trimester. I mean, the knock me on my back, send Hans out in the middle of the night for gingerale, hating being pregnant kind of morning sickness. And that was it. I couldn't finish the house. I was lying in bed, half asleep, moaning about how it didn't feel like Christmas because we didn't make the houses.

We did finally get to them, though, on Christmas day, which was still really nice. I've always gone for a very colorful, or a red and green themed house, but this year I just wanted yummy things so I decided to do an all chocolate house! Hans kinda has a rule that he only uses candy that he'll eat later, so his ends up with all his favorite things.

And voila! Now we can officially say we finished Christmas.


Lots of pretty colors! Jelly beans, sweet tarts and sour candy tape. I'm surprised any tape made it onto the house... he ate most of it while decorating.
Chocolate covered raisins, mini reeses cups, pumpkin pie almonds, and chocolate stars - my chocolate-y house! 
I had extra chocolate covered raisins. This seemed like a good solution.
Reeses and Hershey's make Hans' favorite roof

No comments:

Post a Comment