Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pumpkin Cheesecake

I think by this point my pumpkin obsession is well established.

Over the weekend, I was thinking about my favorite cheesecake recipe (the slow cooker one I talked about over here) and was wondering if I could adapt it for fall.

Needless to say.... experiment a success.
Make the crust:
3/4 cup ground ginger snaps
1/2 cup melted butter
1 T sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Combine all ingredients and press into the bottom of a 6 inch springform pan.

For the filling:
12 oz cream cheese
1 T. flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2/3 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup sour cream
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

Beat together the cream cheese, flour and sugar until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, then vanilla. Add pumpkin, sour cream and pumpkin spice all together and beat until completely incorporated.

Pour into springform over the gingersnap crust. Place in a crockpot, on a shelf over 1/2-1 inch water (it should not be touching the water). Cover with three layers of paper towels before placing the lid on the slow cooker. Cook on high for two hours (do not open!) and then allow it to sit an additional hour (without opening). After those three hours, remove to the counter and allow it to come to room temperature before wrapping and chilling in the fridge until cold.

I'm both surprised with how my little experiment turned out and very pleased. It has a pumpkin pie taste, but lighter and more creamy. It's not super pumpkin-y and not as sour as the regular version of this recipe is. If you're a pumpkin lover, give it a try!

4 comments:

  1. haha, i think that's still mary, but i'll take "princess of baking"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so talented and now i want to make this. I love pumpkin cheesecake. Seriously. Come bake for me? ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every once in a while, something you post just really makes me salivate. Goodnight, nurse! I want me some pumpkin cheesecake, STAT!

    ReplyDelete