Thursday, October 11, 2012

Easy Halloween Crafts

I like crafts that can be done in one sitting. It makes me feel like I accomplished something. That and it won't end up in the guest room for months...

Last night, I made little ghosts for our chandelier. These were really easy and actually pretty fun to make!

Here's what you need:
Cheesecloth (Found this at Michaels for about $4... It was in the sewing aisle next to zippers!)
Fabric Stiffener
Paper/plastic cups
Balloons
Black felt
Glue gun
Thread

Turn one cup upside down, and then set another one right side up on top of it. Place a barely-filled balloon inside the cup. Like this:

Fill a small bowl with the fabric stiffener and add a little bit of water to make it runnier and easier to use. Cut the cheesecloth up into smaller pieces. Then, one at a time, dip each cheesecloth into the stiffener bowl, wring it out, and drap over the balloons.
Let that sit for 20-30 minutes and dry. Use something sharp to pop the balloons. Cut out small circles from the black felt and and hot glue them on for eyes. Thread some string or thread through the top to hang and voila! Chandelier ghosts. I'll let you know how long they keep their shape...


While that was going on, I also made an easy centerpiece. 
Pumpkin pie pumpkins were cheap at Home Depot. The longer the stem the better... Brush on some modge podge and then use a spoon to sprinkle glitter on. Then let it dry! I do this every year, but used different colors this time. I like the variety. I used Martha Stewart Fire Opal, Bronze, and Brownstone (I think).
Happy Crafting!




1 comment:

  1. When I as a kid, my mom made a cheesecloth ghost with glue instead of stiffener. She stuffs it with newspaper or paper towels for storage. To my knowledge, it's still surviving.

    You have such a pretty chandelier.

    ReplyDelete