Friday, July 29, 2011

No-flour, fudgey cookies

Hans isn't generally a fan of cookies. He always complains they're too dry. He much prefers brownies, which I'm not the biggest fan of. For some reason they don't feel substantive enough for me. So I've been on the hunt for a brownie-cookie crossover.

These gooey dark chocolate cookies from Divine Baking fit the bill pretty nicely. They're incredibly rich (I can't eat more than one) and satisfying. And with the warm, oozing chocolate, hopefully not "too dry" for my picky hubby.

Another great part? I had the ingredients on hand. That's always nice.

What you need:
1 1/2 cups (1 bag) bittersweet chocolate chips
3 large egg whites
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, plus some for coating
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt

Put 1 cup of the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until melted. This usually takes me 1 1/2-2 minutes, stopping to stir in 30 second intervals. When melted, set aside to cool.
In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup powdered sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch and salt.

Using the whisk attachment on medium-high speed, beat the egg whites until they're thick and fluffy and starting to form peaks. Reduce speed and slowly add in 1/2 cup of powdered sugar.

Reduce the speed again to low and gradually added in the cocoa mixture. Add in the cooled, melted chocolate and mix until incorporated. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips by hand. The mixture will be very thick and gooey.
Add some powdered sugar (I did a cup) to a shallow dish. Using my 1-inch cookie scoop, I added globs of cookie dough to the powdered sugar and rolled them around to coat. Drop the coated cookie dough on a greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 for 9-10 minutes. Allow them to cool about 10 minutes on the tray before removing to wire racks for cooling. Made 18 cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment