Monday, March 29, 2010

That was... interesting

Over the weekend, I bought a new cookbook on our friend Mandy's recommendation. It's called Deceptively Delicious, by Jessica Seinfeld (Yes, Jerry's wife). She takes pretty basic recipes - things that 5 year olds and my husband would like - and sneaks in pureed veggies. That way you get a serving of vegetables and all their nutritional goodness without having to taste them.

Too good to be true?

Maybe.

Today was day one experimenting with the cookbook. I was short on time so I went for the tuna salad sandwiches. I thought the prep time was pretty low. You steam cauliflower for 8-10 minutes and then puree it. I found it was easier in my food processor rather than the blender, but that could just be that I have a crap blender.

Then it's pretty much just like normal tuna salad - light chunk tuna in water, chopped up celery, a little light mayo, the pureed cauliflower, and a bunch of spices. Stuff it in a whole wheat pita and presto! Dinner.



I liked that it was quick and easily portable. Made it a good dinner to take to work. I was a little nervous when I went to eat it because I thought the cauliflower smell was strong, but I couldn't detect the taste of it and I was trying.

Hans ate it and said it was "good" but "not his favorite." At least I got him to eat some veggies.

I'm looking forward to trying the spinach brownie recipe. I've heard good things about that one. I've also heard that to cut down on prep time I can use baby food instead of pureeing fresh vegetables. We shall see.

Later this week I'm trying tofu with spinach... shhhh, don't tell Hans...

1 comment: