Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Reading List

I just finished reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. I actually started it a while ago, but had a hard time getting into it. I picked it back up this past weekend and it all of a sudden got good!

It's really interested because it's told from the point of view of a teenager with autism. He sees things very differently than you or I might and his perspective is fascinating. He's incredibly brilliant, but has a hard time with social aspects of life - white lies, jokes, facial expressions, physical contact, things of that nature.

He's trying to understand why the dog that lives across the street was murdered. What he ends up discovering is a horrible family secret that he's not ready to deal with.

What I liked best about the book is that you have to kind of piece it together. He presents certain events and facts, but because he doesn't understand some things, it's up to you to figure out what's really going on.

I'd definitely recommend it to a friend - it's a good, emotional read and a fascinating look into the life of an autistic teenager.

And I'm taking suggestions for a new book! Everyone keeps telling me Eat, Pray, Love is awesome, so I might try that. I'd really like a good biography of Emma Smith, but it's difficult to figure out which ones are "good." Any recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment