Sunday, October 30, 2011

Some weekend thoughts

This week has been very interesting, to say the least. Two things that have been weighing heavily on my mind all weekend:

  • Gratitude. Thursday I learned that the company who owns the newspaper at which I used to work, the Austin American-Statesman, has made a decision to consolidate all their copy desks in Atlanta. It looked like the online content producers (my old position) were also on the chopping block, but they've been given a temporary reprieve. While I'm incredibly saddened for all my former co-workers and friends who are now looking for work, I also can't help but be filled with deep relief and gratitude that I got out when I did and I have a job that I love and is very stable. As an aside, can I just say how stupid I think it is to have a central hub in Atlanta? Copy desks are already horrible over worked and how will copy editors in Atlanta know that it's supposed to be "Bee Cave" and not "Bee CaveS" or recognize a picture of Lesley when they see one? Ridiculous. I'm sorry guys and I'm sending you all my good thoughts.
  • Speaking of good thoughts: If you're the praying type, please send out some prayers (or good thoughts, if that's your thing) for my little brother serving his mission in Thailand. As you've probably heard on the news, Thailand is experiencing some extreme flooding conditions. It seems like the whole country is underwater. AJ's companion got sent home a few weeks early when it looked like the airport was going to flood. Last week, the mission president had all the missionaries send a special note home to let their families know that they are safe and have enough food and water. He also told us that they would be stopping proselyting and working instead on rescue and recovery efforts. His most recent letter (from a couple hours ago) says that that decision has been reversed again and they're back to proselyting... for now. In any event, please pray for the Thai people who are suffering and for the safety of the people (especially my brother ;)) who are there.

1 comment:

  1. it's even weirder than that, e. they're consolidating us into 2 desks, in dayton and palm beach. what the heck? you were very fortunate to find that job you have now. we do miss your smiling face, tho :-)

    ReplyDelete