Monday, May 3, 2010

Confession: I have a problem

You're probably thinking, "Ya, she has many problems."

You would be correct.  But today, we are just talking about one of them.

I have this problem where I start a good book and just won't stop. Even when I have stuff to do. Even when I'm tired. Even when it's the middle of the night.... I have been known on many occasions to read until the sun comes up instead of putting the book away for another day.

That happened last night. After dinner, Hans and I curled up on the couch to read. I picked up The White Queen at Half Price Books a few weeks ago nd finally decided to give it a try. I got sucked in and read the whole thing (it's over 400 pages).

The book is historical fiction (very fictionalized) about the Cousin's War in England in the mid-1600s (yes, I'm a nerd, get over it). The Lancaster and York houses are fighting over the throne. The York Queen, Elizabeth, has two young heirs to the throne when her husband dies. His brother takes them and confines them in the Tower of London and they are never seen again. All that's actually true - historians really don't know what happened to these two princes.

The boys disappearing happens about halfway through the book and I really want to know what happened. I knew that historians have never conclusively said, but I figured that since this is fiction, Ms. Gregory will make up some plausible explanation or put forward one theory conclusively. So I keep reading, because I really want to know!

And then it just ends. She offers no theory or explanation which is wholly unsatisfying. I imagine she was trying to keep it historically accurate. But I wanted some fiction! Some explanation! I can't believe I stayed up all night and I still don't know what happened to Edward and Richard. Lame.

Incidentally, last week I finished reading Eat, Pray, Love and it took me the course of a couple weeks to do so. It was a wonderful book, definitely more substantive than The White Queen, but didn't hook me in the same way. Weird, huh?

I'm gonna go snooze now.

2 comments:

  1. I am the exact same way. I can't tell you how many nights I've spent reading instead of sleeping. Some books are just too good. I'll sleep when I'm dead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete