Thursday, January 5, 2012

DIY mugs

Now that Christmas is over, I can post this DIY project. It was a fun gift for an ugly old man - also known as, grandpa Gene.

The inspiration came from Design Mom via Pinterest. What you need:

  • Some plain white mugs (mine in a pack of two from Home Goods)
  • A black Pebeo Porcelaine Pen in Fine Point (Mine came from Michaels)
  • A print out of the word you want to transfer (I used Sketch Rockwell )
  • Pencil and tape
Print and cut out your word strip.
Shade the back of it with your pencil. This could also be accomplished with tracing paper.... which I couldn't find. Pencil costs nothing, too.
Then I taped the stripe to the mug and traced the outline of each letter with the pencil. That transferred the outline to the mug. I went over the outline with the porcelaine pen and then sketched in thin diagonal lines to match the font.
Let it dry for 24 hours and then put it in the oven at 350 for 20-30 minutes to seal it in. Then it's dishwasher and microwave safe!
And don't ask me why I call him Ugly Old Man. It started a long time ago. And he is. Him and his mustache, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment