Monday, January 23, 2012

Breakfast.... cookie?

Yes. This is a cookie you can eat for breakfast. And it's delicious. And I made them too small, so don't judge me for eating three for breakfast this morning. Did I mention that they are gluten free (provided you use gluten free oats), can be made vegan (without the chocolate chips), and have no sugar, flour, butter, or eggs? And yet... still delicious. And yes, mom and dad, I ate something with bananas in it. And liked it. Have your moment.

Here's what you need:
1 1/2 cups regular rolled oats
1 cup coconut flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 cup of almond meal
1/2 cup nuts, finely chopped (I used pecans and walnuts)
1 cup fun stuff - this is where you add what you like. Dried fruit is good - I used dried cherries, golden raisins, and threw in a few dark chocolate chips (about 1/4 cup)
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
Combine the salt, cinnamon, allspice and almond meal in a large bowl. Mix well. Then add in the oats and coconut and combine. Add in nuts and goodies (make sure the dried fruit isn't clumping together).

I mashed my bananas up in a food processor, so it made sense to add the oil and vanilla to that and just mix there so I don't waste another bowl. Do what you will.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until it's all coated.

Getting these onto the cookie tray is the challenge. The "dough" isn't very dough-y, and can fall apart easily. For the first batch (not pictured... for a reason), I just used a cookie scoop and plopped them on the tray. They stayed little balls. They taste great, but look weird. For the second batch, I used the cookie scoop to make sure my portions stayed the same and scooped into my hands. I rolled it into a ball and then mashed it down flat. You could probably also use the bottom of a glass once you've scooped the balls onto the tray. Whatever works.

Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes. Good both warm and cold.

Original recipe from Blueberry Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment