Thursday, June 30, 2011

Dr. Pepper pulled pork tacos

I can't believe I've never blogged this! This recipe has become one of our favorite and most frequently used. It's quick, easy, and delicious.

The original recipe comes from Ree, or the Pioneer Woman as many know her. It's pretty much the same, with just a few changes - I made this a slow-cooker meal! It takes 10 minutes max to prepare. So here we go.

Ingredients
Pork Butt Roast, 3-7 lbs
1 large white onion
1 (12 oz) can chipotle peppers in adobe sauce
2 cans Dr. Pepper
2 Tablespoons Brown sugar

Cut onion into large wedges.
Layer on the bottom of the slow cooker. Toss in the pork butt. Ree suggests 5-7 pounds - I always do three because a) it's cheaper and b) it's just the two of us (and occasionally Paul attacks the leftovers).

Cover the pork with the peppers and sauce. We like it spicy, like makes your lips tingly spicy, so I use the whole can. You might use half if you're only using a 3 lb. pork.
Pour in the Dr. Pepper and add brown sugar.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours. 8 is probably plenty, 10 is just what it takes me from the time I leave the door til the time I walk back through it after work.

Serve with tortillas - I like corn, Hans likes flour. And we're boring - we just eat it straight, but you could add some pico or salad or something. Go nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment