Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Pizza with caramelized onion, ricotta and bacon

Um, yum.

I was home alone this weekend while Hans took the YM on a campout. I decided to try out a new recipe I knew he wouldn't eat :)

And I love it. So yummy I ate it for three straight meals. It makes four small servings - one was plenty for me, but I know wouldn't be for Hans. Maybe serve with a salad or some bread sticks, or just make a larger pizza!

Recipe adapted slightly from Smitten Kitchen

1 package pre-made pizza dough
1/2 cup ricotta
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 package thick-cut bacon
1 medium white onion, thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Rub oil onto pizza stone (or baking sheets) and/or dust with corn meal.

In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove and drain on paper towels. Add onion to skillet and cook until softened and beginning to caramelize.

Whisk together ricotta and sour cream, then season with salt and pepper.

Divide the dough into 4 pieces. Roll each piece out about 1/8 inch thick. Move dough to prepared stone/baking sheet. Spread ricotta mixture across the dough, then sprinkle with the bacon and onion. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.

2 comments: