Monday, April 16, 2012

Protein breakfast bites

The other day at work, a co-worker looks over and asks me, "Are you eating raw cookie dough for breakfast?"

It sure looks like it. And sometimes I can convince myself it is. But it's not. It's actually these little protein breakfast bites. They are delicious, easy to make, and actually pretty healthy. I don't have any guilt eating three for breakfast and they keep me full well til lunch. You might say I'm addicted.

I found this recipe from Oxygen Women Magazine and then adapted slightly.

Here's what you need:
2/3 cup natural peanut butter (I like the Central Market organic)
1/2 cup honey (local honey helps with allergies - try Goodflow, if you're in Austin! You can eat it by the spoon)
3 Tbsp protein powder
6 Tbsp ground flaxseed
6 Tbsp oats
6 Tbsp dark chocolate chips

Get ground flaxseed, if you can. My food processor chops it up pretty well, but probably not as fine as it could be.

Next time, I'll try to get whey protein powder. The original recipe also recommended chocolate whey protein powder, but this is all I could find at our HEB.
Throw all the ingredients in a bowl (except the chocolate chips) and stir well. It should form a putty-like consistency. Then mix in the chocolate chips. Mmmmm... chocolate chip.

Pinch of a small bunch of dough, and roll it in your palms to form a ball. Repeat 24-28 times :) Refrigerate overnight. Enjoy!

(Check out the oxygen mag link for nutritional details... I added oats, used different protein and my ball-size was a little larger, so my facts may be a bit different).

No comments:

Post a Comment