Saturday, October 30, 2010

Mirror, mirror

Ok, we've actually been done with this project for a while now, but I've sucked at blogging this month.

After adding all those pretty stripes to our bathroom, the builder's grade mirror just looked, well, boring. I found a tutorial for building a frame for your mirror and we went to town.

Carefully, we took measurements for our mirror. At home depot we found primed MDF and got the kind man to  cut it to our specifications.

At home, we painted two coats of the same color we're using for the trim in the bathroom, letting it dry well in between. It's important to paint the backs of the boards because parts of it are reflected in the mirror. We used Gorilla wood glue to glue three pieces together to form the top decoration for the frame. Again, dry. Caulk. Dry. Paint. Dry. Lots of drying time.

We then used liquid nails to glue the boards straight to the frame. If you try this project, be sure that you put the glue toward the middle of the boards, otherwise it squishes out and you can see it. It dried pretty quickly and after a couple of weeks, I can say it seems to be holding pretty solidly.

We added caulk to soften the seams where the boards meet, and along the bottom where it meets the backsplash.

It's far from perfect, but I think it adds a little something extra to the room.

It does throw that nasty gold vanity light into stark contrast. Definitely time to replace that!

1 comment:

  1. That frame gives the mirror a much more 'polished' look. Good job!

    Yeah, that nasty vanity light has to go.