Thursday, April 8, 2010

Tofu and peas?!

Today was my second experiment with Jessica Seinfeld's "Deceptively Delicious" cook book - Tofu Nuggets.

They're supposed to pass off as a mozarella-stick type snack. We'll see.

It was pretty easy to make, though took twice as long as the 25 minutes the book promised. Liars. You mix together bread crumbs, flaxseed meal, and paprika in one bowl. In another you put pureed peas (or spinach) and egg. You chop up some extra firm tofu, coat it in the pea/egg mix, and then the bread crumb mixture. Then you cook it on the stove.


I took someone's advice and instead of pureeing my own vegetables, I stocked up on baby food. That definitely cut down the prep time and seems to work just as well. The hardest part about this recipe was evenly cooking all the sides. It wasn't too hard to get the four main faces of the sticks, but pretty hard to brown the ends. Oh, and the batter didn't always stick to the tofu well. It would peel off some sides entirely.

I really wasn't in the mood for these for dinner (my stomach had been upset all day), but was pleasantly surprised. Dipped in marinara sauce, they're actually a decent imitation of mozarella sticks. A couple co-workers tried some too and we all three agree - you can not taste the peas. I was only able to eat a few of them, though, before my tummy started feeling weird and they started not tasting as good. I think they work well as a healthy kids snack or maybe an appetizer, but not a whole meal.

Still waiting on Hans' verdict....

No comments:

Post a Comment