Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Third times a charm

Wow. The past few days have been so crazy that I'm *just now* getting around to posting another one of my cooking experiments from last Thursday.

For my third attempt at using Jessica Seinfeld's deceptively delicious, I picked the oddly named "Tortilla Cigars."  For those of you looking for the bottom line: This one's a keeper. Try it. Your kids will eat it. Your picky husband will eat it. And they will LIKE it. Mine did! (husband... I'm not hiding any secret children...)



It was pretty easy to make. Once again, I went the lazy route and used baby food instead of puree-ing my own vegetables. Basically, you mix cheddar cheese, cream cheese, pureed chicken, a bunch of spices, pureed carrots and pureed squash altogether. You line one edge of a tortilla with the mixture and then roll them up. Then bake in the oven for about 5-7 minutes until the tortilla gets a little crispy. And done!

It was really tasty and great for taking to work. Couldn't taste the peas or squash. It was a little bland. I'd recommend adding maybe some jalepenos or serving with your favorite salsa. I'd also recommend buying one of those pre-cooked rotisserie chickens at HEB (or Safeway or what have you). It would have really cut down the prep time if I didn't have to defrost and cook the chicken.

All in all, after three attempts with this cookbook, I'd say it's a great one to pick up and try. Doooooo it.

No comments:

Post a Comment