Monday, November 28, 2011

We did it!

I'm not much of a runner. I try, I just really suck at it. I just keep trying, though.

As a young women's leader, I'm encouraged to complete the Personal Progress program along with my girls. To encourage them to do it, show them how, and learn a few things myself. For the Knowledge value, one of the project options is to create a regular workout/fitness program. I decided to take it a little farther and add a 5k to it.

So I signed up for the Turkey Trot. And in one of our discussions about PP, told the Beehives that that is what I'd be doing.

Only later did I discover the Turkey Trot ain't no 5k. It's a five MILE. Oops. Hans and I both really wanted to back out. But I couldn't face my girls and tell them I hadn't done it!

That meant that Thanksgiving morning found us freezing our butts off on the S. Congress bridge with 21,000 of our closest friends.
But you know what? It went so much better than I thought it would. I had fun! And I went faster than I did in any of my practice runs. Don't get me wrong - it was still a snail's pace. But I finished at 1:08:14, and that included a rather lengthy pit stop at a port-a-potty with a too-long line.
It was a great incentive to keep working at it - get a little faster, a little stronger. We're even contemplating the Cap10k next year!

I'm glad I did it. And rewarded myself with an extra-large slice of pie at Thanksgiving dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment