Thursday, April 7, 2011

Delicious, healthy and sneaky

I can't believe I've never blogged this recipe. A couple weeks ago, I brought some leftover Chicken and Biscuits to work and my co-worker asked for the recipe because it smells A-mazing. That's because it is! And it has some sneaky ingredients that make it fairly healthy.

It's (ever so slightly) adapted from Jessica Seinfield's Double Delicious.

Preheat oven to 350.

Heat up EVOO in a Dutch Oven over high heat. While that's warming, cut the chicken into cubes. Add to the oven, sprinkle with pepper, and cook until browned. Add in soup, milk and carrot puree.
 
Here's where I cheat. Jessica wants you to prepare lots of veggie purees in advance and have them on hand in the freezer. Ha! So what do I use instead?
That's right. Baby food. I stood in the baby aisle and looked at labels. I was that girl. I made sure the one I got had no ingredients other than carrots and water. Stir until well combined and simmer.

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. In a medium bowl, mix together the beaten egg, honey, cream of tartar and buttermilk.


Using a fork (or your fingers!), work the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles a coarse meal.

Add the wet ingredients all at once and stir just until incorporated. It should be very lumpy.

Spoon in great blogs on top of the soup mixture. Bake uncovered in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the biscuits are golden. It may not look like much, but it tastes amazing!

Shopping List

1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 chicken breasts, cubed
Pepper, to taste
1 can Cream of Celery soup
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup carrot puree (I've done pumpkin before, too, and that's great!)

1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon  salt
1/2 cup butter (though margarine would be healthier) - soften
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 cup buttermilk, shaken

No comments:

Post a Comment