Thursday, December 9, 2010

Something to think about

My friend Etienne passed along this article from CNN today and it's timing couldn't be more perfect. A few of us at work were just discussing yesterday and today about office environments and how they affect your productivity. I really like the point the author makes about how the creative process is just like sleeping - you need to get into the mode and have uninterrupted time to get moving.

If you don't have the time to read the article (and you really should!), just think about this: Where and when do you get the most work done?

The many people the author spoke to said pretty much the same thing: Late at night, early in the morning, or on the weekend; On the commute (plane, train, car); or a coffee shop, library, home, or home office.

Does that ring true to you? It sure did to me. Sometimes I'm the most productive after ten - it was after midnight during college. Because that's when I've really gotten the momentum going and things are really flowing. And the idea of a home office is so compelling because I don't have to waste time commuting or even getting ready for work. I mean, think about it. I work 8 hours a day. One hour for a lunch break. I spend an hour to two hours commuting every day. I spend an hour showering, ironing clothes, drying my hair, putting on makeup so I can look presentable for all those meetings and the standards of my office. That's 12 hours of my day, right there. I'd get 3-4 hours of that back if I didn't have to go into an office. And why DO I need to go to an office? With email, chatting, skype, teleconferences, collaborative technologies, etc, etc... why can't ALL office monkeys work from home? And maybe meet once a week (or more if needed) for a staff meeting, to make sure everyone's on the same page?

Just some things to think about. I know I will.


No comments:

Post a Comment