Monday, July 12, 2010

My very own cake wreck

I like baking. Usually. This time was not so fun.

Molly's bridal shower is coming up and I wanted to make a nice cake. I decided to do a trial run this weekend. Good thing...



Not so pretty, huh?

I pulled this recipe from Epicurious. It's supposed to be a lemon-raspberry cake. The actual cake itself tastes pretty great. It's very light, sponge-y and has a great lemon taste without being over powering. But that's about where the good stuff ends. I don't know if I'm just not used to our new oven or if it just sucks (which is highly probable), but some how it ended up being perfectly baked inside with a layer of burnt all the way around. No problem, I'll just saw that off with a knife.

Then I was supposed to put this raspberry syrup stuff between the layers. But the recipe calls for liquor, so I made some substitutions. I'm not sure it's supposed to be as runny as it turned out.. I felt like it just drenched the cake and made it a little too soggy. Nice flavor, though.

But then the cake started crumbling when I tried to layer and frost it. And the buttercream wouldn't stick to the syrup-y cake. That's supposed to be plain, vanilla buttercream. The pink and the seeds are the syrup bleeding through.

So while it tastes pretty delicious, it's a horrible eye-sore and I'm not hunting for another recipe to try. I fear there may be many test runs in my future.

1 comment:

  1. I thought it was rather pretty until I read your post and learned that it's not suppose to look that way at all.

    Good luck with that oven temp and frosting technique. If you decide to blame the oven, you can come trouble-shoot with mine.

    ReplyDelete