Wednesday, December 8, 2010

"Meh" crab quesadillas

I made this recipe from Eating Well last night and it was just alright. I think Hans liked it more than I did - I found it kind of boring. And there was kind of a weird aftertaste - I think it has something to do with flour tortillas, vegetable oil, and a skillet. I swear tortillas always taste better at restaurants - I must just not cook them right.



But the inside was very creamy and the crab flavor is delicious. I'd add more jalapeƱos and less red bell peppers. But I think a lot of it is personal preference. It certainly was quick and easy, it just didn't impress.


Ingredients:
1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
4 scallions, chopped
1/2 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos, (optional)
1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
1 tablespoon orange juice
8 ounces pasteurized crabmeat, drained if necessary
4 8-inch whole-wheat tortillas
2 teaspoons canola oil, divided

Combine Cheddar, cream cheese, scallions, bell pepper, cilantro, jalapenos (if using), orange zest and juice in a medium bowl. Gently stir in crab. Lay tortillas out on a work surface. Spread one-fourth of the filling on half of each tortilla. Fold tortillas in half, pressing gently to flatten.

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 2 quesadillas in the pan and cook, turning once, until golden on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment