Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A roly poly problem

Every night, dozens of these little guys invade our apartment. I mean dozens!

Last night while I was brushing my teeth, I counted 9 from where I was standing. 15 from where I was saying my prayers. I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and stepped on two. For the most part, they're gone in the morning, except for the ones that die or are too dumb to get out. But every night they're back with a vengeance. Why?

Hans looked them up online and it says they like damp, cold places. Why they like the carpet in our warm bedroom I don't know. I'm pretty sure they're invading the whole complex - every night when I get home from work, the hallway leading to our door is carpeted with them. I think maintenance is sweeping them out early in the morning because the hallway is pristine by the time I wake up. I'm wondering what we can do to get rid of them... salt? It's so gross!!

2 comments:

  1. If I were you, I would get in contact with your landlord. You may have a moisture problem under your carpet in your bedroom, which obviously can be hazardous outside of just roly-polies. If that doesn't work, I would call Orkin or some other sort of exterminator. I've read that they are persistent and if you don't get rid of them, they will continue to be a problem.

    Salt only works for slugs, I think. So does beer, actually! Haha. they crave the salt, crawl into the container with the beer and drown from drunkenness. Cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. It has come to our attention that someone used your photo in an identification request on our site, www.whatsthatbug.com. The posting in question is http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2012/10/30/rollie-pollies-or-woodlice. We humbly request permission to leave the post intact with the photo, and would be glad to provide a photo credit if you so desire. Thank you for your consideration.

    Daniel
    WhatsThatBug.com

    ReplyDelete