Tuesday, March 29, 2011

See? I told ya.

Remember a few posts back when I mentioned that my house/cooking experiments don't always work? I thought I'd post one for you just to show you what a bomb looks like.

Actually looks pretty tasty, right?

False. This is supposed to be bacon and basil gnocchi. Turns out, homemade gnocchi is hard to make, and a skill I don't possess. I could not stop my dough from being sticky! I kept adding flour but it would almost immediately absorb. Lame. I couldn't even figure out how to properly score them - they'd just flatten out and stick to both the counter and the fork. Argh. The whole process was extremely frustrating. And, of course, they came out tasting too raw inside and too floury (because I kept adding flour...)

The sauce itself was pretty good - buttery, rich, with nice flavor from the prosciutto, pine nuts, and basil. Something tasted a little off about it, though, and Hans and I both ended the night (and well into the next morning) with awful stomach aches.

We won't be trying this again.

If you're more skilled than I and want to give it a try, here's the recipe from Make It and Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment